Know your triggers
It’s not known exactly what causes dry skin conditions, such as eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. For most people, a combination of genetics and a trigger are involved.
A wide range of everyday factors can act as triggers for dry skin conditions. They may be chemical, biological or physical, such as repeated hand washing.
- Unsuitable foaming soaps, shampoos, household cleaners and washing up liquid
- Unsuitable hair dyes
- Laundry detergents
- Certain fabrics, such as wool and polyester
- Heat, including hot showers and sweating during or after exercise
- Cold weather
- Central heating
- Pet dander (flakes of skin and hair from furry animals)
- Seasonal pollen from grass, trees, flowers etc
- Changes in hormone levels
- Food allergies, such as dairy products, eggs, peanuts, soya or wheat
- Metals, particularly nickel
- Cigarette smoke
Need to know more?
For further expert advice on managing dry skin, you can visit: